Skip to main content

Recycling on Campus

What is recyclable on campus?

UH offers single-stream recycling throughout the entire campus. Have you noticed a bin that says paper only or cans and bottles only? Well, the university is still phasing out old bins, but any bin on campus accepts the following items:

  • Plastics #1-5 and 7 (Styrofoam and other #6 plastics are not accepted)
  • Metals: aluminum, steel and tin (cans, bottles, foil, paperclips, small metal pieces)
  • Tetrapaks: milk cartons, soup containers
  • Paper: white or colored paper, magazines, newspaper, paper board, construction paper, card stock
  • Corrugated cardboard: This is the only item the University recycles separately. If the cardboard doesn’t fit in a recycle bin, leave it next to or behind a bin for pick up.
  • Print out the below graphic as a handy guide! You can tack it up over your recycling bin, or keep a copy of the image on your phone.

All recyclables should be free from food and other contaminants. Containers should be emptied, rinsed and dried when possible.



Used ink and toner cartridges can be recycled through Tejas Office Products. When placing a supply order with Tejas, make a note under 'Special Instructions' that says "Pick up empty toner cartridges to be recycled" and their delivery driver will pick them up.


Batteries - See this guide on how to dispose of batteries.

Didn’t find what you were looking for? Email with your recycling questions.