Freshman applicants to the University of Houston who
If you are a freshman applicant who believes there are extenuating circumstances that affected your ability to meet admissions requirements, or if your academic credentials have significantly improved since you received your original admission decision, you may consider appealing our admissions decision.
- Personal Statement (The statement should include information explaining why the student should be considered for admission and the supplemental factor(s) that form the basis of his/her request.)
- Letters of Support (At least two letters of support from school counselors, teachers, and/or personal references who can confirm that there is reasonable evidence that the student can succeed academically at the University of Houston. Please do not include letters from immediate family members.)
- Resume (List employment, volunteer hours, extracurricular activities, talents
- At least TWO SAT or ACT scores (Scores must be submitted electronically through College Board or ACT)
- Updated Official High School Transcript (Should include grades from most recently completed semester)
- Official College Transcript (Only for students earning dual credit for college courses in high school)
You may also submit additional information for consideration. Factors that may assist in determining academic readiness under the Admissions Appeal provision may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- high school attended
- first-generation college attendance
- employment experience
- special abilities such as bilingual proficiency and meeting family responsibilities
- individual achievements
- leadership activities
- public service
- extracurricular activities
Your admissions file will be reviewed by the University of Houston Admission Appeal Review Committee. Consideration for admission can occur ONLY if the applicant has submitted ALL required documents above.
Students who choose to participate in the Admissions Appeal provision may not be admitted into to the academic program of their choice. All freshman students admitted through an Admission Appeal are required to be an Undecided major for their first semester at UH. After successful completion of their first semester, students may speak to an advisor about declaring the major of their choice.
The Admission Appeal Review Committee is very selective when approving Admissions Appeals. The Committee will not select students who they believe will be at an academic disadvantage. The Committee pays close attention to academic history and trends. Generally, less than 25 percent of the students who participate in Freshman Admission Appeals are approved.
Freshman Admission Appeal decisions occur on a rolling basis. You will receive notification by email after your documents have been reviewed. To be assured that your documents can be reviewed for the semester applied, all required documents must be submitted no later than the appropriate date indicated below:
|Semester of Enrollment||Freshman Deadline
|Summer Term||May 4, 2018|
|Fall Term||June 29, 2018|
For more Admission Appeal information, please call (713) 743-1010 and follow the automated instructions and ask to speak to an Admissions Counselor or send an email to email@example.com.