Preparing for college is an exciting and overwhelming time! Your New Student Orientation (NSO) is designed to assist you with your academic, social and cultural transition to UH. We will help you slowly begin the process of becoming a Cougar! Here's what you can expect to learn while at your NSO:
- Complete a class schedule in your chosen major
- Have a comprehensive academic advising session
- Gain more knowledge of student support services, the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, and the UH academic experience
- Gain a better understanding of the personal and financial responsibilities of attending college
- Reduce anxiety about the transition to collegiate life
- Understand the necessity of students taking ownership and academic responsibility in their educational process
- Begin to embrace UH's traditions and experience the UH family
Bring These Items:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Final transcripts from your high school and/or former college(s) if you have not submitted them to UH already
- Casual clothes, including comfortable closed-toe walking shoes. UH is a large campus and we will be walking frequently to different buildings and locations on campus.
- Water bottle: It is hot outside in Houston in the summer, and we will be moving across campus over the course of your two-day New Student Orientation.
- Umbrella or raincoat (just in case, it IS Houston after all, if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes and it will change)
- Bed linens and towels. You are required to stay overnight in the residence hall and linens and towels are not provided.
- A jacket or sweater. Some meeting rooms will be chilly.
Your $150 NSO fee is all-inclusive and non-refundable. Housing is included in your charge. We do not provide housing the day prior to or after a conference. If you need accommodations, you must make arrangements at local hotels or the Hilton Hotel on campus.