The Mentor Protégé Program is designed to foster relationships between prime contractors and Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUBs). The intent of the program is to provide professional guidance and support to HUB vendors. The one-on-one relationship between a University of Houston prime contractor and HUB vendor is mutually beneficial. The mentor (prime contractor) can use their protégé (HUB vendor) to fulfill HUB subcontracting requirements when bidding on state contracts, and the protégé can learn business practices and techniques from the mentor that will help their business grow.
Eligibility and Application Process
In order for a prospective protégé to be eligible for the Mentor-Protégé Program, the protégé must:
1. Be a State of Texas HUB
2. Have been in business for at least one year
3. Agree to sign a written agreement to discuss business practices with the mentor
4. Be able to identify the type of guidance needed from the mentor for business development
5. Be in “good standing” with the State of Texas ( http://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/coasintr.html)
In order for a prospective mentor to be eligible for the Mentor-Protégé Program, the mentor must:
- Be a current or recent (within the past two years) prime contractor with the University of Houston
- Agree to sign a written agreement to discuss business practices with the protégé
- Be able to provide the type of guidance requested by the protégé for business development
- Be in “good standing” with the State of Texas ( http://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/coasintr.html)
- Satisfactory performance on current or former UH contracts, if applicable
Interested vendors must fill out and submit either a Protégé Application or a Mentor Application via email to Kärin Livingston at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 713-743-5672 .
While business contracts may result from the mentor-protégé relationship, there is no guarantee that this will occur. The primary intent of the Mentor Protégé Program is to provide helpful information to the HUB protégé to help them improve their business.