General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
Students must meet the general requirements for a baccalaureate degree
including completion of university core curriculum requirements. See
Regulations and Degree Requirements section of this catalog for
details. All students are required to seek the help of academic advisors
before registering for the appropriate courses.
To receive the Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management,
In addition to these special requirements, candidates for the degree must
meet the special requirements for a Bachelor of Science degree listed
in the Academic
Regulations and Degree Requirements section of this catalog.
- Complete a minimum of 132 semester hours of course work, including
36 advanced (junior or senior level) hours. Any change or substitution
in general requirements must be approved by the dean of the college
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours (two semesters) in residence.
The last 30 semester hours applied to an undergraduate degree must
be taken in residence (from UH).
- Complete all HRM course requirements
- Maintain a 2.00 minimum cumulative grade point average in this major
and at this university
All bachelor's degrees require completion of a core curriculum. Beginning
in Fall 1999, University of Houston students who must complete the requirements
of the new core curriculum are as follows:
- All undergraduate students entering the university for the first
time, whether as first-time-in-college students or as transfer students,
unless they are transferring from a Texas junior/community college
and satisfy all of the following conditions:
- initially enrolled at a Texas junior/community college no later
than summer 1999
- transferred to UH within three years of their initial enrollment
at a Texas junior/community college
- did not interrupt their enrollment for more than 13 months.
- All former students returning to the university for a bachelor's
degree program who have interrupted their enrollment for more than
- All postbaccalaureate students who enroll in a bachelor's degree
program unless they are University of Houston graduates who have not
interrupted their enrollment for more than 13 months.
- All continuing students who obtain permission from the dean of the
college of their major to graduate under the degree requirements of
the new core.
Other students, including most students enrolled at the University
of Houston prior to Fall 1999, will not be required to satisfy the new
core requirements; instead, they may choose to satisfy either the old
core curriculum (see previous catalogs) or the new core curriculum.
Students choosing to complete the old core must complete certain portions
of it by Summer 2001; if they do not, they must complete the new core.
Students who have completed a substantial portion of the old core may
petition for an extension through their departments.
Further information on core eligibility and on courses that satisfy
core curriculum requirements can be obtained by consulting the core
curriculum web site (www.uh.edu/academics/corecurriculum),
the current class schedule,or an academic advisor.
|Core Curriculum Requirements
|Social/Behavioral Sciences (3 hours must be writing
intensive & 3 hours must be Economics)
and Restaurant Management Course Requirements